Pegazus - 'In Metal We Trust' review


PEGAZUS
'In Metal We Trust'
(Black Leather)

I hear people say all the time that music should be innovative, and I can’t really disagree with them a lot of the time. Bands should be trying to do something new, to expand the boundaries of what was set out before them, right? Well, maybe not all the time. What if there’s a band that comes along that’s just so awesome, so amazing, so satisfying, that they don’t need to reinvent the wheel to sound freaking incredible. Well, my friends, Pegazus are that band, and while you may not agree with that statement, they certainly are that band for me. 
Now, let me start off by saying that I’m a huge Pegazus fan. I have been since I can remember, and I probably always will be. Since I first started worshipping the art of New Wave of British Heavy Metal music, Pegazus stood out with their attitude and songwriting, rather than innovation. And the fact that they were from the 90s, an era where traditional heavy metal was pretty much dead, is even more impressive. Now then, on to the review.
The opening track, “Metal Messiah,” is just the kind of fist-pumping, good-time metal anthem you would hope for, with lots of melodic prowess as well as a powerful and potent rhythm section. From the very beginning, you know you’re in for a treat. After the first track, I was more than satisfied, I would have been very content if this was what the rest of the album was like, but then, “Road Warriors,” the second track comes on, and blows me away. Better riffs, superior vocals, and overall more impressive songwriting here, even some good fills coming from the drums. 
However, after the first two tracks, this album is a real mixed bag, both in style and quality. Sure, you have the songs that bear the great NWOBHM and classic Euro-Metal force that makes albums like 'Headless Horseman' so amazing, such as “Metal Messiah,” Haunting Me,” and “Eye for an Eye,” but I find quite often on this release that there are a lot of songs that wouldn’t sound too out of place on Motley Crue or Quiet Riot albums (“We Live to Rock,” “Road Warrior,” and “Ghost Rider”). Also, it can’t be said that In 'Metal We Trust' is the most consistent album in terms of quality. This could quite possibly be an album where you pick maybe your four or five favorite tracks and just stick with those, but I feel that even the less standout tracks have a lot to offer, and are fun to listen to. 
To me , this album best serves the purpose of providing music for casual listening, for when one is working, driving, or partying. While definitely not as excellent as their earlier works (again, please check out 'Headless Horseman' if you haven’t already), this album is still good fun from start to finish. [7]
(Andrew Oliver)

No comments:

Post a Comment

NunSlaughter 'Devils Congeries Vol.I' review

NUNSLAUGHTER Devils Congeries Vol. I Hells Headbangers By now everybody and his dog should know what NunSlaughter stands for...