Zuul 'Howl Of The Wolf' review


ZUUL
'Howl Of The Wolf' 7''
(High Roller Records)
I have only the digital promo of this, so can't really comment on the possible beauty of the vinyl and the packaging, but I know that the 7'' is limited to 1000 copies. The important question is, however, are Zuul any good? And here your humble (hmm) reviewer, with a smirk on his face, do answers with 'Yes, they're good. Real good'. There's something really admirable in the music these guys are cranking up here, something that folks devoted to heavy metal for years and years will probably find bloody appealing. Yes, I'm talking about highly energized playing, ridiculously catchy riffage and stunningly memorable choruses – basically the things that first made me fell in love with the genre back in the day. God, me getting back into that air-guitar playing thingy again? Yep, that's how I feel while listening to these two tracks ('Howl Of The Wolf' and 'Skull Splitter'), as these are  shining examples how to combine properly your influences into a successful sounding package. In case you love your heavy metal straight from the heart, with no pompous pseudo-grandeur in sight, but with a gently displayed nod to the NWOBHM, the early to mid 80's American style, and slight punk-based roughness, then Zuul will deliver the goods for you. In case you're disappointed by this EP, I can accept the fact that you're wrong, but just send me the vinyl to bribe me to keep my mouth shut about your questionable tastes in metal, okay? [7]

No comments:

Post a Comment

NunSlaughter 'Devils Congeries Vol.I' review

NUNSLAUGHTER Devils Congeries Vol. I Hells Headbangers By now everybody and his dog should know what NunSlaughter stands for...